To make this fun patriotic punch, you’ll need 3 different kid-friendly juices/drinks in red, white, and blue. Really, you can use ANY red, white, and blue drinks that you think will taste okay together. The catch is that all three need different sugar contents per ounce. And, the larger the sugar content difference, the better your drink will layer. That’s because this involves a little kitchen science–density to be exact. So, you’ll need to read your labels and do a little math for this recipe! 😉
In the above picture, they used a cran-cherry juice (red), a kid-friendly piña colada drink (white), and a blue raspberry drink (blue). You can see that our red & white mixed just a bit (the sugar contents only differed by 3g).
For some extra sweetness and decorations for the family to enjoy, you can use some Twizzlers candies that you are able to pull apart.
To get the layered effect, you’ll need to do a few things:
- Start by filling the glass about 1/4-1/3 of the way up with the drink with the highest sugar content per serving (red in this case).
- Then, fill the cup FULL with ice.
- Pour the drink with the next highest sugar content (white in this case) very slowly over the ice. You’ll use the ice as a sort of buffer – pouring directly on to the ice with a very slow pour (small amount). If you just pour a whole bunch in quickly, the colors will combine.
- Repeat with the last layer (blue in this case)
- Snip the ends off of a Twizzlers candy and place in the drink for a straw. For some added fun, you could take some of the red, white, and blue Twizzlers PULL ‘N’ PEEL candy to add a little edible bow or tie to your straw.